Friday, February 05, 2010

the beauty of home

I grew up in what the world calls "Majestic Southern Utah." I never understood why people were so enamoured by my natural surroundings. everything was so blah and drab. I hated the drive no matter where I was going. I hated the view from my windows. I hated every place my mom took us camping. all I ever wanted was to move somewhere green and wet and lively.

so, I did. I moved back east and smothered myself in trees. I even lived amongst the corn fields in Iowa for a while and I loved it. I savored every moment, every sunset, every view. I was heartbroken that I had lived in such an ugly place for so long.

a couple weeks ago I went home to visit my mom in Hanksville. it was very strange. I felt as though I had never been there before. I suddenly saw southern Utah through the eyes of a foreign tourist. every corner was a priceless painting I couldn't wait to see. everything was breathtaking. and it was even winter! I took a ton of pictures and just couldn't get enough.

that night as I was trying to fall asleep I suddenly felt a deep sorrow for wasting all those years wishing for something different. there are countless miles of beauty that I have never noticed or tried to discover. I vow to never let that happen again. I can't wait for the snow to melt and the winds to dry up the desert so I can venture back to my homeland.




2 comments:

Maxine Conrad said...

Christa, what a great post! I feel the same about England. I complained when I lived there but I appreciate it so much when I go 'home'. Sure miss you! x

Pam said...

Oh, yes! i think i take advantage of home too! when you are down next time call me! i would like to see you!