Tuesday, September 01, 2009

unwritten

I took one of those lame quizzes on facebook the other day. it was called "what is the theme song of your life?" my result was Unwritten by Natasha Beddingfield. I was surprised... I know, I know. it was a facebook quiz, not scripture. but it struck me like lightning and got me thinking. a lot.

for years I have been puttering along thinking that all my goals had been met. everything was already accomplished and had been since I was 24. when I was in high school my goal was to graduate and go to college. but, mostly just to get the hell out of dodge. so, I went to college. my goal there was to find the perfect major and graduate. when I discovered the answer to that was political science, my goals became larger. I wanted to get an internship in DC, stay there and eventually work on a presidential campaign. I figured that would take me quite a while.

but, lo and behold, the first job I got when my internship was over was working on the Gephardt for President campaign in Iowa. I couldn't believe it. was it really that easy?? getting the job - yes. but, doing it - no. they were probably the hardest 7 months of my life.

when that was over, I went back to DC and got a job at The Hotline working for Chuck Todd. it was my dream job and I was in the most amazing city ever. life couldn't have been better.

then things got bad for my family and it became apparent that I would have to move back to Utah. I left feeling very accomplished, but beaten at the same time. I had no idea what I was going to do. Chuck and everyone else at Atlantic Media put me on leave and wanted me to come back. I agreed to try, but knew that it would be impossible. ...now what?

since then I haven't really had any big goals. I've just been getting by on little accomplishments. at least that's how it has felt. that's why when I saw that my life's theme song was Unwritten my first thought was, "no, that novel ended several years ago."

a few minutes later though I had an epiphany. I'm only 28 years old! my life is not over, it is still a blank canvass. there is so much more I can do. so much left to learn and experience. what a revelation! I hope I can hold on to it. this could definitely make things better for me. how could I have not seen this before? seriously? duh, christa!

1 comment:

Crawford Family said...

Thats why u should com stay with us until u find a job we won't even charge u rent AND have a car u can use! u really should come out for a week or too and try and give it a go!