Tuesday, September 26, 2006

raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...

so, sometimes life can really get you down. and not just when things are terribly wrong, it can happen even when things are just fine. right now my life is fine. I guess when "just fine" lasts a while you start to wish things were better. like, I really wish I could move back to DC. or, I wish things had worked out with my last boyfriend and I could share my "just fine" life with him. to these thoughts I say "phooey!". so, I started thinking about what I do have. there are a million little things that make me happy. and most of these are things millions of people out there will never have the means to enjoy. so, I made this list to cheer me up and am posting it here so I can always have it to refer back to. enjoy!

these are a few of my favorite things: sitting on the steps of the Jefferson memorial or booster hill in Hanksville, getting vanilla ice in Price, drinking slurpees in the back of Gus's truck in the 7-11 parking lot, throwing rocks from the dirty devil bridge at Lake Powell, carving my name at Indian Island, doing a "rain dance" around my car on a dirt road, dumping Dawn soap down the waterfall in Capitol Reef, building a bon fire in the middle of the desert, wandering around IKEA for hours, getting lost in Little Italy, salsa dancing on a cruise ship, playing ping pong in the rain, creating a crazy shake at the burger shak, trying to pronounce the menu at Lebanese Taverna, watching the sunrise or the sunset, keeping watch for my friends in the 6 Flags parking lot, getting lost in a book, being accosted by capitol police and kept out of the inauguration, plotting to leave Marti's backpack sitting there like a bomb on the national mall, getting a surprise splash by a freezing cold wave at the beach, getting hit on at Target, staying up until the wee hours of the night playing cards and laughing with my friends, doing cartwheels on the grass, spotting animals and other shapes in the rocks and clouds, jumping on a trampoline, talking to crazy people on public transportation, watching Felicity for hours on end instead of doing my homework, watching Grey's Anatomy for hours on end instead of studying for the LSAT, watching my brother's face light up when I tell him something funny, making mud soup, trying to recessitate Jackie after she laughed hard enough to quit breathing and passed out, coming up with a way to outprank the neighbors, watching Americans unite and walk together for a cause, the rush and natural high you get on election day - waiting for the outcome you have devoted your life to for months, being too in love to sleep, seeing a baby cousin roll over for the first time or take their first step, hearing from an old friend out of the blue, seeing the changes the seasons make in the leaves of a tree, cozying up in my bed after a long hard day, the smell of rain in the desert, watching a meteor shower from the red hills or the observatory in Cedar, laughing until it hurts, the feeling I get at church and in the temple, and I could go on and on and on....

No comments: