Thursday, June 28, 2012

health care, bitches!

today... I celebrate. and yes, that means using foul language in my post title.


this is what it's all about. in the country considered the greatest of them all, nobody should be denied health care because of "pre-existing conditions" and no one should be denied procedures or any kind of health care because they work at a job that doesn't offer coverage. I couldn't be more proud of Congress, President Obama and conservative Chief Justice Roberts today. they get it. they care. and I couldn't be more relieved.

so, at the risk of getting emotional, the truth is that my dad would still be alive today if this law had already been in effect. the cost of an LVAD wouldn't have been considered when the doctors made decisions about his care. he simply would have been given one the minute it was needed, and he would have been on the transplant list months earlier. and there isn't anyone, including my dad's amazing doctors at the U of U hospital, who would say that what happened to my dad was fair or right. my dad was a small business owner, and just like most small business owners, couldn't afford an insurance plan on his own. this exact situation happens over and over. people are dying and suffering every day simply because they don't have insurance. the type of profession you choose, or are born into, is the number one factor in whether or not a person has health insurance. is that really what should decide whether you live or suffer from a disease? NO. and the fact that this ever became an issue in our country still astounds and disgusts me.

anyway, today is a major victory. I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel! ...now, back to my victory dance :)

2 comments:

Vi said...

Love you. I'll do a victory dance for you too.

Amy said...

America, F*CK YEAH! :D