Tuesday, January 15, 2008

things i love


It struck me today how blessed I am. sometimes I wonder what I did before arriving on earth to deserve everything, and especially everyONE, I have. so, I started listing the little things that make me happy and I thought I would share it with all of you.

1 – ice cream. of course this is on my list. after all, I was getting myself a root beer float when I had this epiphany. I can’t remember a hard time that ice cream didn’t help me through.

2 – cell phones. I feel naked without it. it is my connection to the world. but, especially to those I love that live farther away than I prefer. it is also my security blanket when I travel or do anything alone. yep, it has helped me become the independent woman that I am.

3 – sweatshirts. the first thing I do when I know I am home for the rest of the night is put on a sweatshirt. it gives me a sense of security, and comfort that no other article of clothing can. when I put my sweatshirt on, I know I can finally relax and let down my guard.

4 – a new hair cut. over the past month I have changed my hairstyle. it started by growing out my bangs so that I didn't have them anymore, and ended with me chopping about 9 inches off the rest of it. since then, I haven’t been able to stop playing with my hair! it feels so nice. so fresh and new. I love it! and it has sort of given me new confidence as well. who knew a haircut could do so much?

5 – iTunes. I remember the days when I would spend several dollars on a CD of a single song. I would scour the messed up racks looking for my favorite artists. It was a frustrating process. especially since I lived in the middle of nowhere and could only do this every few months when I was lucky enough to make the 2-5 hour trip out of town! well, no more my friends. iTunes has made my musical life so much easier, and definitely happier. whenever I want a song, I just log on and click buy. In a matter of seconds and for only 99 cents, I have the song I want and I can burn a CD, put it on my iPod, or just listen to it over and over from my computer. could it get any better than that?

6 – my bed. my Grandma Ekker died when I was only 11 years old. she lived just up the street from us until then, and we were very close. to this day, her death is the hardest one I have ever dealt with. my Grandpa Ekker died about 6 years ago and I was able to go down to their home and clean it out before it was sold a couple years ago. I inherited my Grandma’s nightstand, sewing machine, books, and her bed – the most comfortable bed I have ever laid on. all of these items hold a very special place in my heart but the bed holds me and my down comforter and silk cotton pillows every night in the most comfortable sleep I could wish for. …I plan to keep it forever.

7 – movies. they are my escape. but, not only do they take me far far away from reality when I watch them, they can also sometimes help me figure out the mysteries of life. I don't know, maybe it is a bad thing that a lot of what I learn comes from movies, but I enjoy it so back off! :)

8 – email. I got an email today from one of my aunts that I haven't seen or talked to for a long time. I was very close to her growing up, and really miss her. getting an email out of the blue from a long lost friend or someone I miss a ton can really brighten my day.

9 – my friends. when I step back and look at my friends I sit in awe. my friends are some of the most amazing people on this earth. I can't help but wonder how I got so lucky and what makes them want to stick around. they are definitely my top source of support and inspiration.

10 – my family. what can I say? I love them with all my heart. and my car's wear and tear is a direct result of all the time I try to spend with them. it's never enough time.

so, with all this, wouldn't you say I'm a pretty lucky girl?

1 comment:

jaimey said...

i love your list, christa. and i so love that ice cream is at the top, he he. :) oh how wonderful it is to have you as my friend: you who loves food as much as i. :) by the way, i haven't thought about how cool itunes is, but holy wow. it's such a complete luxury. i need to say thanks to the patron saint of itunes more often. :)