Wednesday, November 07, 2007

the ballots are counted

I love election days. one of my goals is to take election day off as often as I can and spend the day helping with get out the vote efforts. I would have loved to be able to do that yesterday. I love the excitement and electricity in the air, and watching people march to the polls to exercise their rights. they are always smiling, which is a relief to see. it's the day that everyone finally puts aside the differences that have been hashed and rehashed for months and just all come together as Americans doing something that we are very lucky to do. oh, gosh, I sound way cheesy patriotic. forgive me... unfortunately my day was packed and I didn't even get to vote until half an hour before the polls closed. but, I did vote, and watch the news to make sure Ralph Becker won, and he did! I've been supporting him for SLC mayor for about a year, I have volunteered, and one of my best friends in the whole world, Steve Borg, is his finance director. I'm mostly just happy for Steve, who better have a job in the mayor's office come January. I also wanted to make sure Referendum 1 didn't pass, and it sure didn't. I am still surprised at how much it lost by. I guess I shouldn't lose my faith in Utah voters just yet... anyway, I hope you all got out and voted yesterday, and if you didn't, come November 2008, no matter who you are voting for, I will be dragging you to the polls!

No comments: